If you are travelling abroad you may require vaccinations. Please click here to see the up-to-date travel advice. If vaccinations are required please click here to download the travel vaccination form. Bring the completed form to the surgery and book an appointment with the practice nurse. Please allow plenty of time before the date of travel for the appointment.
Diseases can be caught from drinking contaminated water, or swimming in it. Unless you know the water supply is safe where you are staying, only use:
- Boiled water
- Bottled water or canned drinks
- Water treated by a sterilising agent
Remember, bottled water for cleaning your teeth and no ice cubes in drinks.
Only eat well- cooked fresh food, ensure meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Eat cooked vegetables in preference to salads.
- Avoid leftovers and reheated food.
- Only eat fruit that is washed or peeled.
- Never drink unpasteurised milk.
- Avoid ice cream and shell fish.
Remember, cook it, peel it, or leave it! When in doubt leave it out!
Rabies is present in many parts of the world.
Do not touch any animals including dogs and cats. If you are licked on broken skin or bitten by an animal, allow the wound to bleed a little then wash the wound in running water for 5 minutes. Seek medical advice immediately.
On long haul flights exercise your legs, feet and toes every half an hour and take short walks in the cabin.Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
Sun Damage to the Skin
The ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can cause serious skin damage.
- Babies under 9months should be kept out of direct sunlight
- Children should wear long sleeved, loose fitting shirts, hats and high-factor sunscreen
- Adults should wear a broad brimmed hat, long sleeved shirts and sunglasses
Remember, sunscreen SPF value of 30 or above should be used.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Blood Borne Infections (including HIV, Hepatitis B)
- Casual sexual intercourse is risky, always use a condom
- Avoid body piercing, tattooing and sharing razors
Always check you have adequate supplies of your regular medication and appropriate holiday insurance to cover your needs.